Consecrated
1136; again 1197
Choir & crypt
13th century
Lost
The west towers, 1846–48
Companion
See the Architecture profile

This page is the building’s biography — its companion profile, describing the architecture and the visit, lives in the Architecture section. The story in stone begins in 1136, when the first cathedral on Mungo’s site was consecrated before King David I. That church burned within decades; Bishop Jocelin rebuilt greater, consecrating again in 1197, and fragments of his work survive embedded in what came next.

What came next was the thirteenth century’s masterpiece: under Bishop William de Bondington the whole east end was rebuilt — the soaring choir above and, ingeniously exploiting the sloping site, the vaulted lower church around the saint’s tomb below — followed by the nave, completed to the same design decades later. The fifteenth century finished the silhouette: the central tower and stone spire, the chapter house, and around 1500 Archbishop Blacader’s exquisitely vaulted aisle, the last major medieval addition.

The Reformation of 1560 emptied the cathedral of its altars, relics and clergy but — almost uniquely in mainland Scotland — not of its roof or its use. Tradition says the craft guilds turned out to defend it from demolition; certainly the burgh needed it, and in time needed it three times over: the building was partitioned into three separate parish kirks, worshipping simultaneously in nave, choir and crypt, a strange and thrifty arrangement that lasted into the nineteenth century.

The Victorians unified and ‘improved’. The partitions came out, the crypt’s congregation (the Barony) got its own church outside — and, in the era’s gravest act of good intentions, the two medieval towers flanking the west front were demolished in 1846–48, on the understanding that grander replacements would follow. The money never came; the cathedral has faced the city lopsided ever since, and no loss in its nine centuries is more regretted.

The modern age has been kinder: state guardianship of the fabric since the nineteenth century, wartime removal of the glass ahead of the bombs, and the great twentieth-century reglazing crowned by Francis Spear’s Creation window of 1958. Through it all the congregation has never left — nine hundred years of continuous worship on the one site, in the one building, which is the rarest thing the cathedral possesses.