Named
1768, for a family tutor
Working era
Queen’s Dock & engine works
Icon
The Finnieston Crane
Now
The Clyde’s events quarter

Finnieston began politely: laid out from 1768 on the Stobcross estate and named, the story goes, for the Reverend John Finnie, tutor to the landowner’s family — a genteel start the river soon overwhelmed. As the harbour marched west in the nineteenth century, Finnieston became pure working Clydeside: the vast Queen’s Dock opened in its front garden in the 1870s, and around it packed the engine works, boilershops and foundries of the marine trade, with tenements over the top and Argyle Street’s pubs refreshing the shifts.

Its monument went up in 1931: the Finnieston Crane — properly the Stobcross Crane — the giant cantilever hammerhead built to lift locomotives from Springburn’s works (that story on its own page) and heavy machinery aboard ship, 175 tonnes at a swing. Obsolete within a generation, it was never demolished, and its silhouette became the city’s shorthand for its whole industrial self — the most photographed retired employee in Glasgow, floodlit now above a river that ships no locomotives at all.

The working riverside died in the 1960s and 70s — Queen’s Dock closed and was filled (rubble from the demolished St Enoch Station among the fill: one Victorian giant burying another) — and Finnieston hosted the recovery’s first act: the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre rose on the dock’s grave in 1985, joined by the ‘Armadillo’ auditorium in 1997 and, in 2013, the SSE Hydro arena — instantly among the busiest concert venues on the planet — turning the district into Scotland’s events quarter, with the Clyde Arc (‘Squinty Bridge’) swinging traffic across to the media campus opposite.

Then, in the 2010s, the strip caught fire — figuratively, for once. Argyle Street’s surviving run of tenement shopfronts, cheap and characterful, filled in a few astonishing years with the restaurants and bars that made ‘Finnieston’ a national byword for urban revival: seafood and small plates where the ship-chandlers had been, property pages swooning, and the inevitable listicles crowning it among the hippest places in Britain. Locals date the transformation, wryly, in ‘before the Hydro’ and after.

The result is the riverside’s whole arc walkable in ten minutes: crane, filled dock, arena, oyster bar — industry, ruin, spectacle, brunch. Whether the fourth act keeps room for the people of the first three is Finnieston’s live question, and very Glasgow; the crane, which has seen everything, withholds comment.