Where
209 Gallowgate
Name from
1755
Present building
1904
Famous guests
Johnson & Boswell; Burns

The Saracen Head — the ‘Sarry Heid’ to every Glaswegian — is the great pub of the Gallowgate and the East End, and it makes one of the strongest lineage claims of any pub in the city: a name and a trade traceable back to 1755. That the present building dates only to 1904, and that the pub has occupied four different sites over its history, is exactly the technicality that keeps it out of the top spot in the oldest-pub argument — but for continuity of name and place in the city’s affection, few can match it.

The Original Sarry Heid

The first Saracen Head was built on the Gallowgate around 1755, and it was no ordinary tavern. It was a coaching inn of real consequence — reputedly boasting more than thirty rooms — standing on the main road into Glasgow from the east and Edinburgh, the place where travellers arrived, ate, slept and drank at the very edge of the eighteenth-century city, hard by the Gallowgate’s namesake gallows. In an age before railways, an inn like the Saracen Head was a hub of news, trade and travel, and this one was among the grandest in Glasgow.

The building itself was a landmark. Its first proprietor was Robert Tennent, owner of the nearby White Hart Inn — and, with his brother Hugh, founder in 1740 of the H. & R. Tennent brewery that survives today as Tennent Caledonian, brewers of the lager that still carries the family name. Tennent raised his inn on the old kirkyard of Little St Mungo’s chapel, using stone salvaged from the ruins of the Bishop’s Castle in Townhead and from the Gallowgate Port, the city’s demolished eastern gate. It was a substantial three-storey building with a hundred-foot frontage, thirty-six fire-warmed bedchambers each entered by its own door, and stabling for sixty horses; Tennent advertised, memorably, that the beds were ‘very good, clean, and free from bugs’. Coaches left its door at nine each morning for Edinburgh and at ten for Ayr.

The Resort of the Elite

For half a century the Saracen Head was among the grandest addresses in Glasgow — ‘the resort of the elite’, where judges, nobles and aristocratic travellers dined on mutton and ‘oceans of claret’, served by waiters resplendent in embroidered coats, red plush breeches, white stockings and powdered hair. Its most famous treasure was a great punch bowl of blue-and-white china, made by the local Delftfield Pottery in the 1760s and painted with the tree, the bell and the fish of the city’s arms; from it the Duke of Hamilton and his cronies drank bowls of Jamaican punch to celebrate their winnings, or drown their losses, after the cock-fights held nearby. Tennent himself did not enjoy the glory long: he died bankrupt in 1757, two years after opening, and the inn passed to his widow Catherine and then through other hands as the trade slowly drifted west, until by the 1790s the old building was broken up into shops and tenements.

Johnson, Boswell and Burns

The original inn’s guest list is the stuff of literary legend, and unusually well attested. Samuel Johnson and James Boswell rested there in October 1773 after their tour of the Hebrides; Boswell recorded that Johnson, finding a stack of letters waiting, was ‘in high glee’ and much taken with the comforts of the place, not least its coal fire. Robert Burns drank there on his visits to Glasgow between 1787 and 1791 — long treated as fond legend, until an IOU bearing the Bard’s own seal was discovered in 2016 in the archives of Tennent’s brewery, proving the connection real; the pub for years displayed what it claimed was a poem in his hand. And in August 1803 William Wordsworth, his sister Dorothy and their friend Samuel Taylor Coleridge stayed the night on their tour of Scotland, arriving, it was said, in the first hackney coach ever seen in the city — a crowd of small boys chasing it, cheering, for miles as they left.

Four Pubs, One Name

The lineage that makes the Sarry Heid remarkable is also what complicates its claim. By the reckoning of the Old Glasgow Pubs historians, the present pub is the fourth to carry the name: the first on the Gallowgate, the second at the corner of St Mungo Lane, the third at the corner of Saracen Lane next to where the original stood, and the fourth — the present Saracen Head, across from the Barrowlands — opened in 1904. Some hold that continuous operation since 1755, even across four buildings, ought to make it Glasgow’s oldest; the stricter view, which this site shares, is that so much moving disqualifies it from the literal crown while leaving its heritage entirely intact.

The Witch’s Skull

The present Saracen Head has leaned into its role as a keeper of Glasgow’s stranger folklore, styling itself the city’s first pub museum. Its most notorious exhibit, in a case just inside the door, is a human skull said to be that of ‘Maggie’, reputedly the last witch burned at the stake in Scotland — a claim impossible to verify and cheerfully unprovable, since a woman burned at the stake is unlikely to leave a skull behind, but entirely in keeping with a pub that has always traded in the macabre. In the harder decades of the late twentieth century the Sarry was a notoriously rough howff whose house speciality, the ‘White Tornado’, was a lethal blend of the bar’s leftover spirits; today, restored and run as a proud Celtic-supporting local with a coal fire always lit, it keeps the old stories alive.

The East End’s Own

The modern Saracen Head is a genuine East End institution — a lively, unpretentious Gallowgate pub, a fixture for the crowds of the neighbouring Barrowland market and the Barrowland Ballroom, and a keeper of Glasgow character and folklore (including its share of ghost stories and grisly relics). It sits at the heart of the district this site’s pages on the Gallowgate and the Barras describe, and it carries a two-and-a-half-century name with the swagger the East End expects. Whatever the pedants rule about the oldest-pub crown, the Sarry Heid remains one of the most storied names in Glasgow drinking.

Find it

209 Gallowgate, Glasgow G1 5DX