Scotts’ of Greenock carried the longest pedigree in world shipbuilding: founded in 1711, when John Scott began building herring busses and small craft on the beach at Greenock — six generations before the industry this site chronicles existed, a century before the Comet steamed. The firm that grew from that beach passed through the same family line for a span almost without parallel in industrial history, and when it finally stopped building, more than two hundred and seventy years later, it was, by every reckoning, the oldest shipbuilding concern on earth.
Two Centuries on the Clyde
Growth tracked the river’s own story, told on this site’s Clyde pages: from fishing craft to the square-riggers of the Atlantic trades, to East Indiamen among the largest merchant ships of their day, launched at Greenock while Glasgow’s tobacco lords ruled the trade — and then, early and eagerly, into steam, the firm building marine engines as well as hulls and taking its place among the pioneers as the nineteenth century’s revolution gathered.
Victorian Scotts’ was a first-division yard with a connoisseur’s customer list: crack sailing ships and steamers, warships for the Admiralty and foreign navies, and above all the great partnership that defined its merchant work — with Alfred Holt’s Blue Funnel Line of Liverpool, the most engineering-minded shipowner afloat, for whom Scotts’ built and engined generations of the long-funnelled cargo liners that ran the Far East routes: a builder-owner relationship of almost dynastic continuity, renewed for the better part of a century.
Submarines
The twentieth century gave the yard its second speciality, and its proudest: submarines. Scotts’ took up the young weapon early — building experimental and production boats for the Royal Navy from the Edwardian era, including pioneering classes few yards would touch — and remained a principal submarine builder through both world wars and beyond: S-class boats of the Second World War, and postwar conventional submarines including Oberon-class vessels for Britain and export navies, slid from Greenock into the anchorage the town called the Tail of the Bank. Surface warships — destroyers, frigates, sloops through both wars’ emergency programmes — kept the berths full alongside.
Anniversary and Decline
The firm marked its 250th anniversary in 1961 with the confidence of an institution — a quarter-millennium under one name and largely one family, celebrated with due ceremony — even as the tide this site’s Decline pages chart was already running. The 1960s consolidations swept the lower Clyde as they swept the upper: in 1967–70 Scotts’ merged with its Port Glasgow neighbour Lithgows to form Scott Lithgow, the lower-river combine, which passed into nationalised British Shipbuilders in 1977.
The last act was the estuary’s: Scott Lithgow bet its future on the North Sea — drilling ships and rig work of enormous complexity — and the bet, plagued by delays and losses, broke the group in the early 1980s; sold on and run down, the historic Greenock yards built their last and closed in stages through that decade, ending shipbuilding on ground worked since Queen Anne’s reign. Two hundred and seventy-odd years, ended inside one hard decade — the Decline pages’ arithmetic at its most brutal.
What Remains
Greenock keeps the memory as a shipbuilding town keeps things: in the McLean Museum’s models and photographs, in street and family names, in the dry dock and waterfront fragments conservation has held, and in the plain local fact — known to every Greenockian — that the town and the firm grew up together and were never really separate entities at all.
Scotts’ page closes this site’s yard-by-yard survey with its longest view: one firm whose lifetime contained the whole story — sail, steam, iron, steel, submarines — from a beach in 1711 to the world’s oldest shipbuilder’s last launch. The Clyde’s claim to have taught the world shipbuilding rests on many names; Scotts’ is the one that was there longest.