Glasgow Cross is where the old town did its living. Here the High Street coming down from the cathedral met the Trongate, the Saltmarket running to the river, the Gallowgate heading east and, later, London Road — and at the meeting stood everything a Scottish burgh needed: the mercat cross where trade was licensed and proclamations read, the tron where goods were weighed, and the Tolbooth, which was council chamber, courthouse and jail in one grim building.
For centuries this crossroads was Glasgow: the merchants’ ‘plainstanes’ pavement where the tobacco lords strutted in scarlet cloaks, the site of markets and riots, celebrations and public executions — the Gallowgate’s name records the road to the gallows. Daniel Defoe, visiting in the early eighteenth century, judged the view from the Cross among the finest street scenes in Britain.
What survives is the Tolbooth Steeple of 1626–27: seven storeys of ashlar crowned with an unusual stone crown spire, one of only a handful of great seventeenth-century civic steeples left in Scotland. The rest of the Tolbooth was demolished in 1921 — the steeple was spared after protest — and it now stands marooned on a traffic island, aloof and magnificent, while the trams, buildings and uses that once pressed around it have all gone.
The mercat cross beside it is younger than it looks: a sympathetic replica of 1930, designed by Edith Burnet Hughes, generally counted Britain’s first practising woman architect — a quiet landmark of a different kind. The original cross had been removed in the eighteenth century.
The city’s centre of gravity long ago moved west, leaving the Cross as the hinge between the shopping city and the East End. Stand at the steeple and the whole geography of old Glasgow still reads at a glance — cathedral uphill, river downhill, market street west and gallows road east: five ways, one city.