Across Castle Street from the cathedral stands a modest three-storey house of rubble stone, built in 1471 — the oldest house in Glasgow, and one of only a handful of buildings anywhere in the city that the medieval eye would still recognise. It was raised by Bishop Andrew Muirhead as part of his St Nicholas’s Hospital, an almshouse for old men and clergy, in the ecclesiastical quarter that then clustered round the cathedral: manses, prebendal houses, the Bishop’s Castle — a whole church-city of which this house is nearly the sole survivor.
Its name records its later role as the manse of the prebendary of Barlanark — the ‘Lord of Provan’ — one of the cathedral’s canons. Legend, never proven and never quite killed, has Mary, Queen of Scots lodging here on her Glasgow visit of 1567; more certainly, after the Reformation the house slid down the social scale through centuries of ordinary use — alehouse, shops, a sweet factory’s store — hard use that, paradoxically, preserved it while grander neighbours were pulled down.
Rescue came in the early twentieth century from the Provand’s Lordship Society, and the house passed eventually to the city’s museums. It is furnished to evoke its early life, anchored by a fine collection of seventeenth-century Scottish furniture given by Sir William Burrell — a first instalment, as it turned out, of that collector’s vast generosity to Glasgow.
Behind the house lies one of the city centre’s quietest delights: the St Nicholas Garden of 1995, a recreated medieval physic garden of herbs ordered in knot beds, its cloister walk set with the carved Tontine faces that once grinned from the arches at Glasgow Cross. The house itself reopened in 2024 after a careful restoration of its fabric.
To stand at its windows and look across to the cathedral is to see Glasgow’s entire span in one glance — the medieval church town in the foreground, the Victorian Necropolis on the hill, the modern city humming behind. Five hundred and fifty years on, the old house keeps its watch.