Fairfield’s story begins with an idea. In the 1850s the Govan engineer John Elder perfected the marine compound engine, which used steam twice over and cut a ship’s coal consumption dramatically — the breakthrough that made long ocean voyages under steam truly economic. In 1864 the firm of Randolph, Elder & Co. moved to a new yard on the site of Fairfield Farm at Govan, and the name stuck.
After Elder’s early death in 1869 — Govan’s Elder Park and its library were given in his memory — the business became John Elder & Co. and then, from the 1880s, the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company. Its magnificent red sandstone drawing offices rose on Govan Road in 1890, and out of its slips came everything from Atlantic record-breakers and channel steamers to battleships and cruisers for the Royal Navy and half the navies of the world.
Fairfield was also where the modern crisis of the industry first broke. The yard’s sudden insolvency in 1965 shocked the country and produced the experimental rescue ‘Fairfields’; in 1968 it was folded into Upper Clyde Shipbuilders, and after the UCS collapse and work-in it continued as Govan Shipbuilders, then from 1988 as Kvaerner Govan under Norwegian ownership.
In 1999 the yard passed to what is now BAE Systems, and Govan’s slips found a new certainty in naval work. The steel of the Royal Navy’s Type 26 frigates is cut and assembled here today; in 2025 the yard opened the vast Janet Harvey Hall — named for one of Clydeside’s wartime women workers — where two frigates can be built side by side under cover, the biggest investment on the river for generations.
The 1890 drawing offices have been restored as Fairfield Heritage, telling the yard’s story on the spot where it happened. Govan has built ships continuously for over a century and a half — the longest unbroken thread of shipbuilding left on the Clyde.