Uniquely among the world’s great shipyards, John Brown’s came before its town. The brothers James and George Thomson, trained under Robert Napier like half the founders in this site’s shipbuilding pages, moved their booming yard downriver in 1871 to green farmland at the Barns o’ Clyde — and the workforce’s tenements, shops and kirks that grew around the berths took their name from the works: Clydebank, the town called after the yard. Few facts state the Clyde’s priorities more plainly.
The Sheffield Takeover
In 1899 the business was bought by John Brown & Company of Sheffield, the empire’s great armour-plate and steel maker — a vertical integration of ominous logic, marrying the forges that rolled battleship armour to the berths that could lay it — and under the new name the yard entered the most extraordinary run of any shipbuilder in history: for the next seven decades, when Britain wanted the biggest, fastest or most famous ship in the world, the order went, more often than not, to Clydebank.
The Great Liners
The Edwardian statement was the Lusitania of 1906: Cunard’s revolutionary turbine greyhound, built with government backing to reclaim the Atlantic for Britain, which took the Blue Riband and redefined the liner — and whose destruction by torpedo in 1915, with the loss of nearly 1,200 lives, is told on this site’s own Lusitania page. Her running mate Aquitania followed in 1913 and steamed for thirty-six years through two world wars, the longest-serving of all the great express liners; and in 1918 the yard delivered HMS Hood, the largest warship afloat for two decades and the Navy’s beloved, doomed flagship, whose page carries that grief.
Depression and the Queens
The yard’s defining drama was a silence. In December 1931 the Depression stopped work on Cunard’s giant Hull No. 534, and for twenty-eight months the unfinished colossus stood rusting on the stocks above Clydebank’s streets — the most visible single symbol of the Slump in Britain, a town’s livelihood suspended in mid-air. When government finance restarted work in April 1934 the men reportedly marched back through the gates behind pipe bands, and on 26 September 1934 Queen Mary herself named the ship — the first British merchant vessel to carry a queen’s own name — before a sodden, ecstatic crowd of hundreds of thousands. The Queen Mary took the Blue Riband and became, simply, the most famous ship in the world.
Her sister Queen Elizabeth — launched in 1938, the largest passenger liner built in the twentieth century — slipped to sea in wartime grey, and the pair spent the war trooping entire divisions across the Atlantic at speeds no U-boat could touch; Churchill credited the two Clydebank Queens with shortening the war. The yard’s own war added the battleship Vanguard (1944), Britain’s last, and endless repair work — while the Luftwaffe’s 1941 attempt to destroy the yard fell instead on its town: the Clydebank Blitz, this site’s hardest wartime page, killed hundreds of the yard’s own people in the tenements the berths had built.
Peace brought royal commissions — the yacht Britannia in 1953, built to Clydebank finish for a floating palace — and gathering trouble: fixed-price contracts, steel delays, and the competition of subsidised yards abroad that this site’s Decline pages chart. The yard’s answer was one last superlative. Hull No. 736, ordered by Cunard for the jet age it seemed to defy, was launched on 20 September 1967 by the Queen, who named her — to the yard’s surprise, tradition insists — Queen Elizabeth 2. The QE2’s completion was troubled and her delivery late, but the ship herself became the last great liner: forty years of service, the most famous vessel afloat, and Clydebank’s masterpiece signature on the century.
Decline and the Work-In
By then the yard was part of Upper Clyde Shipbuilders, the 1968 amalgamation whose 1971 collapse produced the work-in of Jimmy Reid’s page — Clydebank’s workforce at the heart of the fight. The rescue’s price was transformation: in 1972 the yard passed to the American Marathon company to build oil-rig jackets for the North Sea, later under the UiE name — welding on the same ground, for a different sea-harvest — until the gates closed for good in 2001, a hundred and thirty years after the Thomsons arrived at the Barns o’ Clyde.
What Remains
One giant kept watch. The Titan — the 150-foot electric cantilever crane of 1907 that lifted boilers into Lusitania and engines into the Queens — survived the clearances, was A-listed and restored, and now stands as a visitor attraction and memorial above the filled basins: Scotland’s Eiffel Tower of work, with a lift to the jib and the whole river’s story visible from the top. Around it, college campuses and housing rise on the yard’s footprint, and Clydebank’s museum keeps the builders’ models that once toured world exhibitions.
The roll-call explains the reverence: Lusitania, Aquitania, Hood, Duke of York, Vanguard, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, Britannia, QE2 — no yard anywhere ever launched a fleet of names like it. ‘Clyde-built’ was the whole river’s boast, but Clydebank was its proof: a town called after a shipyard, which repaid the compliment by building the twentieth century’s most famous ships.